This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Dr Pepper Snapple Group. All opinions are 100% mine.
Growing up, during the holidays we had family gatherings at least a couple times a week. Since my husband nor I live near our hometowns, we often go home to visit for the holidays. We bounce from house to house making sure we get to see everybody while we’re in town. No matter whose house we visit, there’s plenty of food to go around. I always like to bring something special when we visit others’ houses, but sometimes it’s a little difficult to bring a dish when visiting from out of town. Over the years I’ve had to get a little creative and I want to share with you 5 hostess gifts for the holidays. Enjoy!
1. Flowers-This may seem a little boring, but it is a very thoughtful gift. Around this time of year you can see poinsettias everywhere. Why not stop by your local flower shop, Safeway, or even drug store to pick one up. When you give it to your host/hostess, make sure you let them know how to take care of it and to take caution if it will be around small children or pets.
2. Gifts In a Jar- Have you seen the layered brownies, cake mixes, or colorful candies in a jar? I think they are the cutest things ever! Who wouldn’t want to receive one? If you give a gift that needs to be baked, include the instructions and whether any additional ingredients need to be included.
3. Drinks- This by far is my favorite. Yes, you can bring a bottle of wine or a plain-old soda, but why not spruce it up a bit? Why not be the mixologist for the night (with your host’s approval, of course) and mix up a batch of your favorite beverages. Stop by your local Safeway to get all of the ingredients. You can get them all in one spot by shopping at Safeway and it’s super easy to find what you want and to make your purchase. Here are two drinks that will be enjoyed by the guests.
This first one, both kids and adults can enjoy. It’s easy to make and the cinnamon stick brings a bit of Christmas nostalgia.
Ingredients: 1 ½ Cups Canada Dry, ½ Cup Apple Cider, 5 ice cubes, 1 Cinnamon Stick (Makes 2 Servings)
Directions: Shake up the apple cider (the cloves, allspice, and nutmeg are the best part but they sit on the bottom of the container if not shaken up a little).
Add ice to a bar shaker. Pour in Canada Dry and apple cider.
Gently, shake the bar shaker. The drink may fizz a little.
Strain the drink into two small glasses. Add the cinnamon stick. Serve chilled.
This next drink is definitely for adults! The ginger from Canada Dry and the orange bitters give it a holiday-feel, but the starfruit gives it an unexpected delight.
Ingredients: 2 Cups Canada Dry, 6 Ice Cubes, 1 Large Starfruit, 1 Tsp. Orange Bitters, ½ Cup Gold Rum (Makes 2 Servings)
Directions: Slice the starfruit. Place ice and starfruit (saving four slices for garnishment) into blender. Add orange bitters.
Pour Canada Dry and rum into blender.
Mix on low speed until ice is fully crushed. Place one starfruit slice into a tall glass. Pour in half of the drink blend. Garnish with starfruit. Serve chilled.
4. Homemade Gift Basket- Even if you’re visiting from out of town, it’s pretty easy to make a quick stop at Safeway to pick up some snacks, drinks (like CanadaDry), and anything else your hostess would love. Purchase a little $1 basket and basket wrap and go to town! Top it off with a pretty little bow.
5. Cutting Board With Artisan Cheese- If you know that your hostess is a true food and especially loves cheeses, then get her a wood cutting board with several types of cheeses from the Safeway deli. Make handwritten signs of the names of each type of cheese. If the hostess says it’s ok, set the board up for her and others to enjoy.